1. It’s contagious… No, but if you really want proof, rub my leg, wait 3 days and see what happens.
2. Clear skin is as simple as some Vaseline and vitamin E capsules… If only it was that easy… Do you know how many people with psoriasis that would be walking around looking like they’ve been dipped in a bucket of chicken if it was that simple?
3. It’s ok to stare… I don’t know if people actually think it’s ok to stare, but people do it all the time. Sometimes I wish I could get a tattoo on my back that says “Calm down, it’s just psoriasis… For more information go to Psoriasis.org” But I don’t know how that would look on me 50 years from now!
4. It’s chicken pox’s… Yeah, because most people walk around in the grocery store, and go to the pool with an outbreak of chicken pox. (Sarcasm)
5. Telling someone you’re dating about your psoriasis is as easy as telling them your name… “Guy: Hi, I will like to get to know you… Girl: Hi, my name is ____________, and I also have psoriasis, nice to meet you.” Not saying a person CAN’T do that, but it would be a bit awkward!
6. That you some how you choose to have scaly skin… I always hear comments like,
“How about you put some lotion on it?” Huh, yeah I would, but I actually like these spots all over me, gives me a somewhat of an exotic look. (Sarcasm)
7. It’s poison ivy… Nope, unfortunately my condition is not as simple as calamine lotion and a wet cold press, but I digress.
8. You can use the same things they use… Trust me I love Victoria Secret lotion just as much as the next woman, but my skin doesn’t.
9. It’s easy to wear what you want despite the psoriasis… Ok try this, take a red marker and draw different sized and shaped spots ALLLLLL over your body, wear some clothes that don’t allow you to cover up, go to the store, go the pool, go to a park with a bunch of people and see how they respond.
10. That you are some how the spokes-person for psoriasis… I’m comfortable enough to talk about my disease these days, but some people aren’t. Please gauge a person’s comfort level to see if you should continue the conversation about their disease.
Ok, so there is a bit of sarcasm in this post… But if you are facing any of these assumptions that people make, the best way to battle it is by educating them about your condition. If You don’t feel comfortable enough to go into details, simply tell them it’s a non-contagious condition and they can go to psoriasis.org for more information. I’ve honestly been thinking about getting some business cards about psoriasis and passing them out to people who I see staring! lol
- Psoriasis and Me: The beginning of my relationship (Video) (beingmeinmyownskin.com)
- On a Date with Psoriasis? (beingmeinmyownskin.com)
- Psoriasis: Don’t Hide From Help (beingmeinmyownskin.com)